Scotstown (@1.2) vs Truagh (@4.5)

Our Prediction:

Scotstown will win

Scotstown – Truagh Match Prediction | 15-09-2019 11:30

The ball was worked out to James Turley on the left, but a difficult angle combined with the poor conditions meant he couldnt find the target and Scotstown had been pipped at the post. A point from Thomas Kerr left the minimum between the sides with just a matter of minutes remaining. Scotstown eventually made their way back onto the pitch, and were presented with a much sterner test in the second half as they now had to come to terms with playing into the strong breeze. Ballybay talisman Paul Finlay picked up possession one last time, and made no mistake in sending the ball between the posts to put his side in the lead for the first time in the game. Adrian Carbin and Damian McArdle came on after 40 minutes for the visitors, and shortly after Ballybay gave away a free which Paul Grant sent over for their first score of the half. Ballybay got another point to leave them just two behind. Ballybay finally equalised with time running out and the game entered injury time. Ballybay were out early for the second half, no doubt with ears ringing from their half-time team talk. Christopher McGuinness got a quick-fire point on the board for the home side, and within a short number of minutes they had registered another 1-1 without reply to bring themselves right back into contention. Scotstown continued to match the league leaders for effort and determination, but the scores that seemed so easy to come by earlier in the game had now dried up. There was still time for Scotstown to launch one last attack. Ballybay continued to press and were denied a goal chance through some last ditch defending. Next up for Scotstown is Castleblayney in the Championship next Sunday in Clontibret.

Ross McKenna continued to make an impression in his first senior appearance and he knocked over his second point of the day. With Scotstown threatening to run away with things, Latton steadied the ship somewhat by nicking a point just before the break to make it 0-2 to 0-5 at half-time. The hosts were in a similar position as they had already secured a semi-final spot in the League, so it was too very unfamiliar line-outs for both clubs as they looked forward to clashing in the Senior County Final the following weekend. On fifteen minutes, Mark McDevitt hit a point to put the Blues ahead for the first time, before Mark Treanor took advantage of a close range free and knocked it over the bar. Scotstown travelled south to Latton for this last round of Senior League fixtures with nothing to play for but pride. The home side opened the scoring, but it wasnt long before younster Ross McKenna got an equaliser for the Blues. Barry McMeel (who was abroad for most of the summer) capped his return by registering a point after a good run from his half-back position. The hardy souls who braved the rain and the generally miserable condidtions were however treated to a much entertaining contest than they had any right to expect.

The magnificent surroundings of Croke Park where victory was achieved was a far cry from our humble beginnings in March 1958. As Monaghan Intermediate Champions we were now involved in the Ulster series. Drumgath (Down) and Foreglen (Derry) were beaten to reach the Ulster Final where we faced a strong Eskra(Tyrone) side. The lads in red and black prevailed on a wet night in Armagh and we were now in an All-Ireland Semi-Final. In the league final we didnt perform on the day and lost to Currin. In 2013 optimism was high that a that a good year was in store and our intermediate squad didnt disappoint. First we defeated Tyholland to win the (Intermediate Championship) for a third time. We were now going in to the unknown but our players responded magnificently. We faced Geraldines (Louth) in Crossmaglen and in an entertaining game Truagh emerged victorious by 3 points. This victory was a credit to the players and management team, but also was a testament to the hard work and perseverance of past players, committee members and supporters many of whom have reached their eternal reward. On February 9th 2014 Gaeil Triucha faced Kiltane of Mayo for the All-Ireland Intermediate Title. On an emotionally charged day Truagh secured victory on a score of 2-21 to 2-13. We reached both the league final and the championship final.

In 2004 we reached the Owen Ward Cup Final (Senior League) but unfortunately came up short against Latton. In 2000 our seniors reached their first senior championship final and followed that up with a second appearance in 2001. In 2006 we again joined the ranks of intermediate football, but bounced back in 2008 to senior level by way of victory in the McAviney Cup (Intermediate League). Both teams were unsuccessful, losing both finals to a fine Castleblayney side who were kingpins of club football in that era. We had great success in minor grade when Gaeil Triucha won the Fergal Shannon Cup (Div 1 League) in 2009. Our U-21s won the Kerley Cup for the fourth time in 2002. In 2000 our reserves won the Div 1 League (Brennan Cup).

Our minor team won the Div 2 League Title in 2014 and in 2015 reached the Minor Championship Final before losing narrowly to Donaghmoyne. They consolidated their senior status in 2014 and reached the senior league final in 2015 before losing to our neighbours Scotstown. After the dizzy heights of Croke Park our players had to get back to basics in senior league football and again responded with great maturity. Our U-21 team won the Div 1 Championship for the first time in 2013.

Scotstown tightened their grip on the game in the third quarter with Kieran Hughes (3), Adrian Carbin & Brian McGinnity adding five points to the scoreboard. It really was a disastrous period for Inniskeen as they had to wait until the 46th minute of the game to get their first second half point. Scotstown travelled back north with a comfortable seven point victory and two valuable league points in the bag. For the final ten minutes of the game Scotstown closed things out well enough restricting Inniskeen to just a couple more scores while substitutes Sherry & Treanor kept the scoreboard ticking over for the Blues.

Suppose with the county team haven a break this week and not much too talk about why don't we talk about club championship will Scotstown be stop this year , Ballybay I feel might have a say , and then ya have carrick they will be stronger maybe truagh but am going for Scotstown senior champions 2019. Intermediate will be a exciting this , donaghmoyne margacloone monaghan harps and maybe seans Killanny aughnamullen it's a tough one to call donaghmoyne had there chance last year and they blew it but they will be hard to talk to this year too , monaghan harps will be the same but for me am going margacloone intermediate champions 2019 and junior , so here any one from blackhill toome clones drumhowan Eire og rockcorry oram could win a championship this one is hard too judge clones with mc bride on board should be interesting but I go with blackhill to win championship in 2019 .

Eddie Beggan clashed with Tommy Freeman shortly afterwards, with both players earning a yellow card for their troubles as quality football continued to be in short supply. Short of a cutting edge in attack, the Scotstown management felt it was time for a change and Orin Heaphey was sacrificed for the experienced Nicholas Corrigan. Their plans were thrown into disarray within minutes however, as David McCague collected a second yellow card and Scotstown were down to fourteen men. Scotstown on the other hand had a fourth player enter the referees notebook when Fergal McPhillips saw yellow, but they were having their best spell of the game as half-time approached. Damien Freeman pointed yet another free to bring his personal tally to four points. Kieran Hughes was a constant threat, and he managed to register a point to draw the sides level again at 1-2 to 0-5 going in at the break. Magheracloone had ended Scotstowns hopes at this stage in last years championship, and a big factor in that defeat had been Scotstowns indiscipline and concession of scoreable frees. It looked like history was repeating itself in this game as Francis Caulfield and David McCague picked up yellow cards, while Damien Freeman converted a close-range free. Damien Freeman raised the standard with a run that had the Blues defence in all sorts of trouble, but with the goal at his mercy, he blasted the ball over the crossbar to bring them all square.

I think this shows how strong and competitive the club scene in Monaghan is at present. Surprised there isn't more chat on here after what seemed to be a very exciting opening weekend of fixtures. I wonder did Mal make it to any matches or will he keep up the notion of training matches being more beneficial when they are clearly not with many fringe players on the county panel going backwards in his time in charge due to a lack of competitive game time. We tend to look for the negative a lot of the time but the competitive nature of our leagues is something to be proud of and more people should take the time to attend. Lots of draws and close games across all three divisions.

Navigation menu

At this stage, the four teams are drawn in two matches, with the two winners progressing to the Semi-Final stage. The winners of the Preliminary Round game play each other in Round 1A, making up the fourth game in that round. The four winners in Round 1A then progress to Round 2A. Ten teams enter the competition, with four teams drawn into the Preliminary Round and the remaining six teams into Round 1A.

The final whistle blew with the sides level at eight points each, meaning that Latton finish third and Scotstown fifth in the final standings. Padraig Keenan came off the bench for Scotstown for his first appearance of the season after a lengthy lay-off. With seven minutes left, Ross McKenna got his third point of the match, but the Blues conceded a free in the closing minutes and Latton took the chance to level things yet again. Fellow substitute Tom Moyna helped himself to a point in only his second senior appearance, but the game was very even now and it Latton quickly equalised again. Latton began to dictate things for a period and managed three unanswered points to make it six points apiece midway through the second period. The Blues made a change at the break with Myles Treanor coming on for Emmett Caulfield, who was making a welcome return from injury. The second-half began with both sides swapping points Peter OHara getting the Scotstown point.

David McCague levelled matters with his first point of the evening, then Kieran Hughes knocked over two more points as he became a very effective focal point of the Scotstown attack. Inniskeen pulled one back on 25 minutes, but the momentum was firmly with Scotstown now and Emmett Caulfield got his second score in reply. The home side started well and got the first point of the game in the opening minutes. A sun-drenched Grattan Park greeted the teams for this Senior League Division One basement battle. Scotstown were bolstered by the return of some familiar faces to the starting lineup, and it was one of those, Kieran Hughes, who got Scotstown off the mark with an equalising point. They registered a further three scores in this period to put themselves 0-4 to 0-1 ahead, giving the visitors some cause for concern. Scotstown didnt panic though, and with an Emmett Caulfield point and a converted Kieran Hughes free they began to play themselves into the game. Inniskeen continued their good start to the game, belying their lowly status propping up the division. Inniskeen were hoping to drag Scotstown back into the battle at the foot of the table after the Blues loss to Castleblayney in their last outing a team the south Monaghan side got a point against recently. Kieran Hughes & Brian McGinnity added further points with one in reply from the home team to leave the half-time score at Inniskeen 0-6 Scotstown 0-9.

However there was great disappointment for our senior squad when they were relegated in a very tight league. The following year in 2011 the holy grail at minor level was achieved when our minor squad defeated Clontibret to win the (Minor Championship) for the first time. This was another prestigious first for the club. In 2010 another fine minor team produced some great football. Hopes were high that we could achieve minor championship, however that team had to settle for a Div 1 League title, which was a great honour in its own right. During this very successful period for that age group another Kerley Cup was won in 2010.

In 1995 the Intermediate Championship was won for the first time. Our U21s won the Kerley Cup (U21 Div 2) on three occasions, 1992, 1994 and 1997. In 1998 the Hackett Cup was won and again we were back again in senior football. The Club remained in intermediate football through the early part of the 90s. Senior status lasted 2 seasons before being relegated. The Reserve Div 3 League and Championship was also was won. After reaching the the Intermediate Championship Final In 1992 we were relegated the following year to Junior Football. However the Junior League was won in 1994.